Dr. Carolynn Young founded Rockville Gynecology in 2010. Since then, the practice has grown to include Nurse Practitioner, Tosha Luchtefeld (December, 2013). Rockville Gynecology moved into its new location in October of 2014, and Dr. Astrid Gonzalez joined the practice at this time. Plans include the expansion of Rockville Gynecology with the opening of an attached Wellness Center. Massage, nutritional counseling & weight-loss support, yoga, psychotherapy, skin-care advice and facials and acupuncture will be offered. Our mission is to help each of our patients live a healthy lifestyle, both physically and mentally.
We aim to have short wait times, especially because we do not deliver babies, so our schedules are more predictable. During your brief wait, enjoy a cup of cappuccino or tea in our state of the art new office building. We are conveniently located off of I-270 on Omega Drive, the corner of Medical Center Drive and Key West Avenue, with free parking.
As a team, we strive to promote women’s health and improve the quality of women’s lives. All three providers frequently speak to parent and community groups and offer free lectures entitled “Girl Power” for adolescents. Rockville Gynecology supports both local and international charities. Monthly donations are made to the Stepping Stones Shelter in Rockville, Maryland, and DirectRelief, which provides humanitarian medical aid throughout the United States and world-wide. Dr. Young donates her time to the Shady Grove Pregnancy Center, where she serves as the medical director.
If surgery is required, surgeries are performed at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Rockville, MD, and at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, MD.
We also offer the convenience of in-office:
- blood draw
- pelvic sonograms
- procedures with anesthesia, including hysteroscopy
- endometrial ablation (Novasure™)
- hysteroscopic permanent sterilization (Essure™)
The minimally-invasive GYN procedures that we perform include laparoscopic hysterectomy, laparoscopic myomectomy, myomectomy through a mini-laparotomy (5cm incision), and single-incision laparoscopy.
We also perform permanent sterilization in the office using hysteroscopy (a scope placed in the uterus through the cervix). The advantages of this include no abdominal incisions, minimal discomfort, and no time for recovery.
We specialize in the treatment of:
- Adolescent Gynecology
- Cancer Risk Assessment
- Abnormal Bleeding
- Uterine Fibroids
- Menopausal Medicine
- Dr. Young was voted by her physician peers as a Washingtonian Top Doctor in 2015, 2014 and 2012
- Dr. Gonzalez has been published in the prestigious Green Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology as well as in the biweekly publication for continuing medical education, Postgraduate Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Dr. Young served as the Chief of Gynecology at Suburban Hospital from 2009-2012
- Dr. Young is currently the Co-Director of the daVinci™ Robotic Steering Committee at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital
- During her residency at University of Southern California Medical Center, Dr. Gonzalez was the recipient of various Nursing Choice awards for patient care as well as peer selected awards for patient advocacy and commitment to quality care.
- Tosha Luchtefeld is a member of the Georgetown University faculty in the Nursing Practioner masters program, where she previously graduated first in her class with distrinction and was a member of the Sigma Theta Tau honor society
- Dr. Young & Dr. Gonzalez were both inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, graduating in the top of their class
- Dr. Young donates her time to the Shady Grove Pregnancy Center, where she serves as the medical director